cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Flowmaps
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:20:06 GMT
On 6/17/02 9:50 PM, "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net> wrote:

>> From: Ovidiu Predescu [mailto:ovidiu@apache.org]
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I'm really overwhelmed by your reaction to the flow idea! Thanks all
> for
>> sharing your thoughts!
>
> Welcome!
>
> ... snips scattered below ...
>
>> 1. Stefano points out that flowmaps (I don't really like this term, a
> "map"
>> is more appropriate for state machines, how about flowscript instead?)
>
> One more to consider: sitescript (as opposed to site-map), or webscript.
> Flowscript sounds great though.

One thing I don't like is that all of them end in "script", which is really
confusing. Consider this likely phrase in the documentation: You need to
write a JavaScript flow script, which is composed of two file scripts.

>> 8. Vadim's idea about making the syntax easier.
>>
>> I think the idea of having something as simple as:
>>
>> <map:match pattern="calc/*">
>>   <map:flow method="calculator" continuation="{1}" />
>> </map:match>
>>
>> makes a lot of sense. Using different matchers, the continuation id
> can be
>> extracted from the request parameters, cookies, you name it. The only
>> problem with it is that is a bit inflexible in terms of the URI
> design. If
>> I'd like to have calc/kont/*, there's no easy way to specify it.
>
> Please, as easy as:
>
> <!-- starts script because continuation is empty (or remove attribute -
> if it is optional) -->
> <map:match pattern="calc/">
> <map:flow method="calculator" continuation="" />
> </map:match>
>
> <!-- continues script -->
> <map:match pattern="calc/kont/*">
> <map:flow method="calculator" continuation="{1}" />
> </map:match>

A continuation id is not really associated with a function/method, but with
a continuation. You can assign the continuation id to a different
continuation, which perhaps started from a different function. But I get
your idea: use map:flow rather than map:call, which has a different semantic
in the current Cocoon. But we'll still have the additional "continue"
matcher, which was the initial point of discussion you started. Wasn't this
supposed to ease the way a sitemap developer writes the sitemap? Personally
I don't think this is a problem, since without the "continue" matcher,
things fail immediately. Thoughts?

Greetings,
Ovidiu