cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: What is Cocoon?
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:44:17 GMT
At 15:50 17/06/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>koen_pellegrims@inventivedesigners.com wrote:
>
>>The application is called DTM (Data Text Merge,
>>http://www.inventivedesigners.com/dtm/dtm.html).
>>
>>It started as a replacement  for IBM's OfficeVision, which was a
>>word-processing application on AS/400 (the UI was targeted to the 5250
>>"green" terminals).
>>Our application also has a 5250 UI and uses MS Word (with plugins) for
>>wysiwyg editing on Win32 platforms.
>>The files are stored in an internal (albeit encrypted) XML format.
>>
>>Cocoon (or parts of it) is used in the backend. The documents are mostly
>>designed for very large mail-merges and can be printed on IBM's AFP or SCS
>>printers, or exported to PDF, PS and PCL.
>>
>>We have written our own serializer to read and decrypt our XML-files and
>>the 'merge'-module is a transformer.
>>Internally, we use the XSL transformer to transform this result into
>>XSL-FO, or into an older version of our XML format, for which we already
>>have printing modules towards AFP and SCS.
>>We would like to write serializers that can produce AFP and SCS data from
>>FO as well, but there are a few shortcomings in FO that we need to support
>>(the most important of which are "tab-stops"). This requirement stems from
>>the days of yore: the most heard reason is "because OfficeVision supported
>>it " :-(
>>We are working towards a cleaner and better integration with Cocoon.
>>

>That's really, really interesting : Cocoon used for mass-mailing on
>AS/400. This is far from the classical XML webapp scenario ! Would like
>this to be included in Cocoon success stories once we add them to the docs ?

I am creating a Cocoon based web app that manages the complete
administration of an organization with about 900 members.  Mass mailing
using PDF generation is one of the goals to be implemented.  Another one is
using the portal to introduce document flow (person A does one thing so
that person B can do the next thing) using the coplets to present the data
needed by that user.

Bert