cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Alfredas Chmieliauskas <alfre...@sseriga.edu.lv>
Subject IMPORTANT: Major Bug in XMLDBSource
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:49:36 GMT
  Hi all,

this bug relates to every cocoon and xindice versions available, thus it
definately concerns you, if you're using xmldb and accessing it through
XMLDBSource (xmldb: pseudo-protocol).

Short history:
We're developing a project that is based on cocoon + xindice and, for a
while, we were wonering why using cocoon and xindice causes such high
memory consumption, which on higher loads terminates xindice with an
OutOfMemoryError. Moreover, similar problems have been reported to both
lists some time ago.

No doubt about cocoon, I was blaming xindice for the error (that corba
implementation seemed suspicious from the very begining). However, after
some memory profiling done for both cocoon and xindice, I got myself to
check out and revise the XMLDBSource source-code, which turned out to be
the cause of the problem in the end.

The error is as follows:
Every new request to the database creates new XMLDBSource, which in turn
registers a database implementation (driver)
(DatabaseManager.registerDatabase(...)) *every time* it is created.

Thus after 15 requests to your databse you have 15 database client
implemetations loaded by your VM.
You can guess what happens when you have 150 requests, can't you? ;-)

Quick-fix:
A reasonable and quick fix for the problem would be to move the
connect() method from the XMLDBSource to the XMLDBSourceFactory.
Why, on earth, would one bother about the connection in the source
methods, when it is the major concern for the SourceFactory, i wonder?

Proposal:
It seems that commonly the rdbms drivers are loaded through the
cocoon.xconf or web.xml on servlet startup (hsqldb, for example?). Why
not treat the xmldb drivers the same way?

I hope I saved some time (and memory ;-) for some of you,

Alfredas