cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Continuation as cookie? (was RE: [RT] Flowmaps)
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:25:35 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>Conal Tuohy wrote:
>>

>>>I haven't yet used the flowmap stuff myself, so I have a possibly naive question:
what would be the flowmap (flowscript?) syntax to return a continuation to the client as an
http cookie? Is this relatively easy compared to url-rewriting?

>>You can't do that, as the cookie has only one value, which makes it
>>perfect for session management but unusable for continuations : each new
>>

>I'd like to oppose, can I? :)

Of course you can !

>>page leads to a new continuation. This is how the infamous "back button" problem is
elegantly solved, and also how you can use what-if browsing

>I could imagine application which has one and only continuation per
>client. In this scenario, when client hits "Back" button, application
>shows to the user *same*, *current* page but not *previous* page.
>
>If you add continuation persistence on server side... In *this*
>scenario, cookies *do* make sense. Don't you agree?

Yes, cookies do make sense for this. But in that case, do you really
need continuations ? IIRC, Ovidiu already talked about this, but I don't
remember exactly what he said.

Ovidiu, what's your opinion on the above ?

>>by trying different possibilities in different windows, thus leading to a tree of
continuations.

>Just suppose for a moment that your app requires one and only continuation.

Don't you call it a "session", then ?

>Mmm... I already see where it can be used... :)

Teasing, teasing ;) Please tell us more !

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez