cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Haraburda <david-coc...@haraburda.com>
Subject Re: [help needed] Patching the Servlet API on classloading
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 01:44:46 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I don't agree with you : findResources() is the method that a given
> ClassLoader can redefine to enumerate *its own resources*.
> getResources() aggreates the enumerations of all resources found in the
> classloader hierarchy.

Actually, I think maybe you do agree with me :-) -- this is basically what I was saying (sorry
if I created
confusion), all I am adding is that getResources being final and getResource not being final
don't provide
for an inconsistency, IMO.

> But it does this using the "standard" order which
> is system classloader resources first and custom classloader resources
> last. So you can't change the order of the enumeration to give a higher
> priority to custom classloader resources by enumerating them first.

The "standard" classloading delegation/algorithm is for security's sake, and I think it
makes sense most of the time (see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/security/spec/security-spec.doc5.html
for more info), although it's obvious there is a problem that needs solving here with webapp
classloading.

My reason for posting is to clarify to make sure people don't think that the solution needs
to involve changing
JDK system classes (and I don't think that is what you were suggesting).  I agree with both
you
and Stefano that making a change to the Serlvet spec to mandate servlet containers implement
the heirarchy like tomcat does is a good idea -- I just wanted to throw in there that I don't
think
anything else beyond this is needed.

Again, just my $0.02

Thanks,