cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLForms and Flowmap
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:21:33 GMT
Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> >> IMNSHO, the flowmap should totally replace actions and deprecate them.
> >

> > Ahem, I thought we decided *not* to deprecate them, as they make sense
> > as elements in the declarative sitemap.
> >
> > For web apps Actions should be *strongly* discouraged, but can have uses
> >   in sitemap-only publishing sites.
>
> I agree that Actions are not as natural to Cocoon sitemap as Generator,
> Transformers and Serializers are. What is the right replacement for them
> which will glue front end with the business logic layer.
> Are you saying that the flowmap will call Java code directly?

Absolutely. I still have to find out the limitations of this, but being
Rhyno a javascript engine written in java, it would be pretty easy to
see the mapping between the two.

> Would you need to write gluing JavaScript even for simple one page input
> handling?

No. Nothing forces you thru this path. But I would personally suggest it
instead of using actions.

Anyway, as I said, we won't deprecate existing functionality until
everybody is perfectly positive about it, so do not be worried about we
changing the ground beneath your feet :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.