cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XMLForms and Flowmap
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:27:24 GMT

Per-Olof Norén wrote:
> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

>>> Ahem, I thought we decided *not* to deprecate them, as they make
>>> sense as elements in the declarative sitemap.
>>>
>>> For web apps Actions should be *strongly* discouraged, but can have
>>> uses   in sitemap-only publishing sites.
>>

>> I agree that Actions are not as natural to Cocoon sitemap as
>> Generator, Transformers and Serializers are. What is the right
>> replacement for them which will glue front end with the business logic
>> layer.
>> Are you saying that the flowmap will call Java code directly?
>> Would you need to write gluing JavaScript even for simple one page
>> input handling?
>

> My interpretation would be that if that input handling is needed it
> should be done in the flowmap.

I agree.

> If there is a need for an action, one
> should use flow.

Actions are not only for input handling.

> Personally I tend to hesitate to write an action and if
> a actually do it i tend to "overwork" it, costing lots of unneccecary
> hours to the project at hand. Therefore i agree with Stefano on his
> quest for an action-free cocoon, given that it is expanded from its
> current form of course :)

:-)

If I want to log every request to my custom system, I could make an
action that does it and it would be simple.
Do I have to write a one-line flowmap for it?
Dunno, maybe it could be ok, maybe not...

...I think that this decision (of deprecating Actions) will have to be
taken when the flow is really working well; ATM we don't have enough
elements to discuss it correctly.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -