cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Per-Olof Norén <pe...@alma.nu>
Subject Re: XMLForms and Flowmap
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:21:10 GMT
Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> IMNSHO, the flowmap should totally replace actions and deprecate them.
>>

>> Ahem, I thought we decided *not* to deprecate them, as they make sense
>> as elements in the declarative sitemap.
>>
>> For web apps Actions should be *strongly* discouraged, but can have
>> uses   in sitemap-only publishing sites.
>

> I agree that Actions are not as natural to Cocoon sitemap as Generator,
> Transformers and Serializers are. What is the right replacement for them
> which will glue front end with the business logic layer.
> Are you saying that the flowmap will call Java code directly?
> Would you need to write gluing JavaScript even for simple one page input
> handling?

My interpretation would be that if that input handling is needed it
should be done in the flowmap. If there is a need for an action, one
should use flow. Personally I tend to hesitate to write an action and if
a actually do it i tend to "overwork" it, costing lots of unneccecary
hours to the project at hand. Therefore i agree with Stefano on his
quest for an action-free cocoon, given that it is expanded from its
current form of course :)

whats bothering me:
I´ve tried to instantiate a simple home-brewn bean-like object in the
flowmap and passing it to the xsp with values from the flowlayer.
However, this seems to fail, with jxpath throwing exceptions not giving
any leads to what might be the trouble. Skimming through Javadoc spec i
found a way to import arbitrary objects in javascript, and this seems to
work fine. Its when trying to access a "object from an object" such as a
  getting hashtable entry from a class holding a reference to the
hastable. It works fine "one level" down reference hierarchies.
I´ll post this into bugzilla, just don´t have time to do it today though.

/Per-Olof