cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From TREGAN Fabien <fabien.tre...@airbus.com>
Subject RE: We need a detailed comparison with Struts
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:39:04 GMT

Many people wrote :

>>>yes, but this feeds into the marketing problem.  Just what IS Cocoon?
>>
>>   This is important : one of the main problem I hade when I

<...>

>> (maybe a more formal report when I have time to write it, but the
important
>> idea there is : Is Cocoon just a publication framework, or is it a Web
>> Applicatioin Framework ?)
>
>I think you could say that (Xxxxxx) Cocoon used to be a publishing
framework.
>Starting with 2.1 it becomes a kick-a** web app platform.

Ok, that's what i'm trying to explain, but the problem is that the first
lines of the firt page of C2 doc says :

<quote>
  What is this?

----

  Apache Cocoon is an XML publishing framework
</quote>

After I've read docs and made some trying, I no longer agree with this.
Cocoon (C2) is Web application AND publishing framework.
Since the question was "we need a detailed comparison with Struts", I think
it's imporant in this comparison to make it clear that Cocoon is not "just"
a publishing framework. If this was made clear in Cocoon docs, Cocoon would
allready have been choosed for the project i'm working on.

fabien.