cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Lewis" <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon article on JDJ
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:16:05 GMT

Just a suggestion here on item 2 - take it for what it is worth.....

The recommended way to improve performance is with something like SQUID - a proxy cache. THat
is
the approahc I take, and by all accounts it works well. Unfortunately, "out of the box" Cocoon
doesn't have that, so it appears to be really slow to some people, and therefore is viewed
as not
scaling well.
Is there a pure Java solution, perhaps a servlet based proxy-cache, that could be distributed
with
Cocoon? Maybe a seperate WAR that includes that functionality configured by default? Not everyone
who is serious with Cocoon will use it, but it might improve the "out of the box" performance
perception.
I kow - that is a lot of work to go to....but perception is reality......

> Good article. Inspiring for the new comers.
>

> It's sad to read though that:
>
> 1) Cocoon may not catch up with big enough user base, so there is a risk of using it.
> 2) Cocoon is not applicable for large scale applications.
>
> Those new couple books coming out this year will certainly help with 1). Are there folks
that
> can help publishing more articles in the computer magazines?
>

> With the new contribution for Expires response header and caching
> improvements, 2) shouldn't be a big deal any more.
> BTW, is Expires checked in already?
>

> Ivelin

XML
>> project, Cocoon is one of the lesser-known offerings from the folks at the all-open-source
>> Apache Software Foundation, having garnered less attention than some of its more
popular
>> cousins like Struts. But Cocoon is worth a look.
>> <<
>>
>> This once again clearly shows that Cocoon needs marketing !
>>
>> Sylvain
>>
>> PS : thanks to Matthew and Guido for the link.
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Wallez
>>   Anyware Technologies                  Apache Cocoon
>>   http://www.anyware-tech.com           mailto:sylvain@apache.org

commands,
>> e-mail: <cocoon-users-help@xml.apache.org>

"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."