cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <>
Subject RE: Continuation as cookie? (was RE: [RT] Flowmaps)
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:31:27 GMT
> From: Sylvain Wallez []
> Conal Tuohy wrote:
> >I haven't yet used the flowmap stuff myself, so I have a possibly
> >question: what would be the flowmap (flowscript?) syntax to return a
> >continuation to the client as an http cookie? Is this relatively easy
> >compared to url-rewriting?
> >

> You can't do that, as the cookie has only one value, which makes it
> perfect for session management but unusable for continuations : each

I'd like to oppose, can I? :)

> page leads to a new continuation. This is how the infamous "back
> problem is elegantly solved, and also how you can use what-if browsing

I could imagine application which has one and only continuation per
client. In this scenario, when client hits "Back" button, application
shows to the user *same*, *current* page but not *previous* page.

If you add continuation persistence on server side... In *this*
scenario, cookies *do* make sense. Don't you agree?

> by trying different possibilities in different windows, thus leading
> a tree of continuations.

Just suppose for a moment that your app requires one and only

Mmm... I already see where it can be used... :)