cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: [RT] Flowmaps
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 00:00:56 GMT
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

Guys, I'd like to question some of the sitemap markup also...

> > More explicit sitemap markup
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > Here is what I think would be a much better approach to connect a
> > sitemap and a flowmap:
> >
> > <map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
> >
> >   <map:flowmaps default="calculator">
> >    <map:flowmap name="calculator" src="calc.js"
language="javascript"/>
> >   </map:flowmaps>

Is this necessary step? We do not declare like this all sitemaps we
mount later. Why it is necessary to declare flowmaps, can't this step be
omitted?

> >   <map:pipelines>
> >    <map:pipeline>
> >     <map:match pattern="">
> >      <map:call function="calculator('prefix','/kont')"/>
> >     </map:match>
> >
> >     <map:match pattern="kont/*">
> >      <map:call with-continuation="{1}"/>
> >     </map:match>

Why not replace these two with something more simple/obvious and
something which better correlates with map:mount syntax we have now?

Something similar to:

<map:match pattern="calc/*">
  <map:mount-flow check-reload="yes"
                  src="calc/calculator.xflow"
                  uri-prefix="calc" />
</map:match>

Here, it will be not necessary to have additional and confusing to
newbies "kont/*" matcher. Everything below calc/ goes to flowmap, and in
flowmap you can use e.g. calc/kont/ to indicate continuation.

And, if flowmap has map:mount notion, all necessary for the calculator
XSPs can be served by sub-sitemap with matcher:

> >     <map:match pattern="*.html">
> >      <map:generate src="{1}.xsp" type="serverpages"/>
> >      <map:serialize/>
> >     </map:match>
> >    </map:pipeline>

Then, flowmap directory will be self-contained.
Isn't this simpler and more logical?

> I think that
>       <map:match pattern="kont/*">
>        <map:call with-continuation="{1}"/>
>       </map:match>
>
> Is unnecessary and *will* create confusion, since there is no way to
> enforce it while using a flowmap.
> Users will forget to write it and flood us with mails of "why doesn't
it
> work?".

+1 to eliminate it. I would love to see flowmaps working same way
sub-sitemaps do.

> How about:
>       <map:match pattern="">
>        <map:call function="calculator('prefix','/kont')
>                  continuation-match="kont/*"/>
>       </map:match>

As stated below, flowmaps aren't resources, hence map:call doesn't fit
here well.

Vadim

> > There are a couple of major differences:
> >
> >  1) a flowmap isn't a sitemap resource, but it's something else. The
> > above semantics reflect this.
>
> +1  The sitemap should reflect real semantics, ie flowmap!=resource

<snip/>