cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ClassLoader issues
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2002 21:28:22 GMT
From: "David Haraburda" <david-cocoon@haraburda.com>

> Hi all,
>
> This is a second attempt to raise what I feel to be a rather important
> issue, and that is the way CocoonServlet sets up the ContextClassLoader
> for each thread on startup.  I think this is bad because (1) It breaks
> JNDI in Tomcat and (2) it conflicts with both the Java API docs and the
> J2EE spec.  Take a look at the beginning of the service method in
> CocoonServlet -- it overrides the ContextClassLoader without even
> checking the init-classloader param.  I don't think Cocoon should be
> setting the classloader for user-level code at all.  Obviously there was
> something that inspired this behavior. What was it?  Maybe I'm just
> really confused, if so, please flame away -- however, I'm more than
> happy to submit patches to fix this (I've already submitted what I feel
> is a good temporary fix - bug 9684), but I'd like to get some more
> insight/feedback on why Cocoon behaves this way.

The real reason: Cocoon is not a Servlet.
Cocoon conceptually lives in the same space of Tomcat, not on top of it.

Cocoon is generally a servlet out of need, since it eases deployment on
existing systems.

I'm +1 for having this behaviour being toggeled effectively by the param, so
I will commit your patch if there are no -1s.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -