cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <>
Subject Re: Sitemap Transformations
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 19:15:31 GMT
From: "Jason Foster" <>

> > I would *strongly* suggest you to write a new reader.
> >
> > I totally understand that tweaking the sitemap sounds 'easier' because
> > the try/fail cycle is *much* faster now, but I tend to believe that
> > until we have the flowmap in place, we should avoid to add anymore
> > dynamism to the sitemap, or people will start to use it and come up with
> > even more things to deprecate or keep to maintain forever.
> >
> > Hope you get my point.
> I'll accept the point, but think that soon we're going to have a huge,
> messy, undocumented, proliferation of customized generators, actions, etc.
>    For example:
> - FileExistsAction
> - FileNotExistsAction
> - PerlStyleFileTestAction
> - GrepAction
> - UnzipAction
> - GetUploadedFilenameAction
> - UploadedFileGenerator
> - UnzipUploadedFileGenerator
> - FallbackFileGenerator
> - FallbackTraxTransformer

> Maybe with Cocoon Blocks, and something like CPAN, this would be
>    As is stands though, everyone will have to be a Java developer (OK,
> technically you could be an ECMAScript or Python developer) if they want
> do things like this.  Does this unduly restrict our userbase?  I agree
> the flexibility syndrome concerns, but there needs to be a happy medium
> between "everyone write a custom generator" and "everyone type volumes
> the sitemap manually".

What you proposed to do is not for the faint of the heart, and IMHO won't
get non-programmers to program anyway.

Please share with us all the cases in which something seems to be too clumsy
to do without sitemap generation, so we can understand better what might be

For example, the first thing that comes to mind for the above Actions, is to
write an AntAction, since Ant already has loads of tasks that do that stuff.

> Sorry to trip your alarm so strongly.

I have one too ;-P

Nicola Ken Barozzi
            - verba volant, scripta manent -