cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Lorenz" <jens.lor...@interface-projects.de>
Subject Re: [RT] Flowmaps
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:19:21 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] Flowmaps

<snip/>

>  > First of all, let me say that I consider the above concept the
biggest
>  > advancement in server-side web technology since servlets.
>
> It certainly is quite ambitious.
> It choses to follow a command line driven input model, versus desktop
> GUI model. Most web apps today chose to act on commands/events much like
> a desktop GUI app.
> It may not be easy or cost efficient to describe some page flows
> with a flowmap. Multi page forms are used often but they are not
> dominating.

What about using something like a State-Machine for this ? If there
would be a Java-Language for Flowmaps then it would be also quite
easy to implement (especially if you use something like JState).

>  > This design not only makes it a breeze to implement MVC, but it shows
>  > you how natural and clear things become once you separate the
procedural
>  > flow, from the declarative serving of resources.
>
> It certainly makes natural describing linear workflow.
> There is a variety of UI usage patterns which are not linear
> and might be easier handled with command/event handling model.
>
> Since I never experimented with the newly proposed approach though, I
> remain very interested in its use cases.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Ivelin

Regards,

Jens

--

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~
Germany