cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: DocBook vs Open eBook
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:37:30 GMT
DocBook and Simplified DocBook are for technical documentation, and in
particular for documenting software. Not just books, but also articles,
"white papers" etc. Open eBook, as far as I understand it (I'm not really
familiar with it), is for books, and not for technical books in particular,
let alone books about software.

BTW, I've written two software manuals in SDBk (which is well-documented on
the web), so for me personally it would be easier to write than using the
Cocoon documentation DTDs. But so long as the Cocoon DTDs are themselves
well-documented I don't really care. In fact, for such a collaborative
situation, I'm sure it's better to have a small set of very simple DTDs so
that anyone can quickly write a "recipe" for the community. But then the
meta-documentation (how to write a "recipe") is also essential if people are
going to write docs for Cocoon: otherwise the Cocoon doc formats will just
hold people back from writing! ;-)

Con