cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Collecting Source dependencies (was Re: [RT]: Calculating the cache key)
Date Wed, 22 May 2002 13:38:43 GMT
On Wednesday 22 May 2002 05:03 am, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, as far as stylesheet execution is concerned I think the collecting
> mode is not required as all URI are resolved by the stylesheet resolver
> which is the xslt processor itself. So for each stylesheet the resolve()
> method of the processor is invoked. It is then possible to collect
> the information there.
>
> What you get is a collection of Source and SourceValidity objects.
>
> When the same document is requested the next time, the difficult part
> starts. How is it possible to validate if everything is still valid?

(for xslt) You have the main stylesheet and then any
import/includes/document() usages, so you really have a hierarchy of
SourceValidities:

 Main XSLT Stylesheet Source

  +- <xsl:import/>

  +- <xsl:include/>

  +- document()

If the main source is valid, check the other sources. If all valid then all
is good.

I guess the problem comes in if you have a stylesheet that you have imported
that itself imports another stylesheet (a imports b which imports c). The
xslt processor has no way of knowing that c is dependent on b, rather than
dependent on a. I'm unsure of how much of a corner case that is though, my
gut is that the first process I described would cover most use cases (it
would cover mine :)
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org