cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <sharkb...@mac.com>
Subject Re: file naming convention
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 09:16:17 GMT

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 03:59  am, David Crossley wrote:

> Another issue to add to the list is standard spelling.
> Considering that we are talking English, i would prefer
> to see British English spelling rather than a dialect,
> such as Americanization. For example:
> howto-visualise-sitemap.html rather than
> howto-visualize-sitemap.html
>
> I suppose that consistency is all that really matters.
> We would need to apply that decision across the whole
> of the Cocoon distribution (filenames and in content)
> including the Java code.

Being a native Briton myself, I completely agree ;) however Java
is already full of spelling mistakes (sorry, American
spellings ;)

Serializer, Color, Center etc.

It is a cultural issue, I am sure Britons think of their
language as THE English but I imagine many more people
speak/write American English. I suspect most American English
speakers view British spelling as a quaint, almost Shakespearian
dialect.

(To Britons, "Quaint" is a typically American word, however
Shakespeare used it to mean: "skillfull, esp in use of
language", it was not till Spenser that the current usage
appeared: "pleasantly odd, whimsical")

(Sorry, I am behind reading the list at the moment .... )

regards Jeremy