cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Sedlmeyer <ssedlme...@staff.crosswalk.com>
Subject RE: Generator for SQL Server
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 18:07:08 GMT
You can get XML directly from SQL Server 2000 using either HTTP or JDBC.
For JDBC you use the incantation "for XML" in your query and you get XML
back.  with HTTP you can use either XPath against an XML schema (see the SQL
Server docs for more info) or a normal SQL query.  Both return XML and both
can be included as part of the URL enabling you to fetch the data using a
simple HTTP GET.  Can't speak to the performance of SQL Server in converting
to XML but it is available.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Horst Rutter [mailto:horu@objectleague.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 11:37 AM
To: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: Generator for SQL Server

My point is we could avoid the conversion of SQL result rows into XML in
Cocoon alltogether
if we query SQL Server for an XML result document, which is one of the
features of SQL Server 2000.
There is no JDBC involved.
I am not sure but I think they are using HTTP instead to talk to the SQL
Server.
Yes, you lose portability but you may gain a significant boost by avoiding
all the XSP/action/transformer
work needed right now to convert SQL result rows into XML.

BTW if you are looking for an alternative to the MS JDBC driver.
Someone on this list recommended the i-net drivers to me:
http://www.inetsoftware.de/English/Produkte/JDBC_Overview/ms.htm

Horst