cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From sn...@hotmail.com
Subject Cocoon not recognizing Kannel headers
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 12:36:28 GMT
Hi all,
       I was contemplating a lot whether
       I should post this question in this
       developer list or not, then I decided
       that after all the question demands a
       thorough understanding of the internal
       architecture of Cocoon, which people
       here will be in a better position
       to deal with. I HAVE posted this question
       in the cocoon-users list as well.

       Please let nobody take this as a
       cross-posting or multiple-posting.
       I came here only after a lot of
       thinking.

      Is there anyway to find out what
      headers an agent appends to its requests
      sent to cocoon?

       I have Cocoon 1.8.2 configured
       to run with Apache 1.3.19

       I have the following lines added in
       cocoon.properties

       browser.1 = wap=Nokia
       browser.2 = wap=UP
       browser.3 = wap=R380

       which means that if a request comes from either
       a Nokia or UPSDK or Ericsson R380 then Cocoon
       is to recognize it as a WAP request. For WAP
       requests cocoon loads a seperate WAP-content
       generating Stylesheet.

________________                            FOR WAP
| NOKIA        |                __________  REQUESTS  __________
| UPSDK        | REQUEST FOR    | APACHE |WAP CONTENT | COCOON |
| ERICSSON R380|______\\________|  HTTP  |______//____|   XML  |
| .........    |      //        | SERVER |      \\    | ENGINE |
| .........    |  XML FILE      |________|  FOR HTTP  |________|
|______________|                    |       REQUESTS
                                    |       HTML CONTENT

                       REQUEST FOR  |
                        XML FILE   /|\
                                   /|\

                                ____|______
                                | HTTP    |
                                | BROWSER |
                                | NETSCAPE|
                                |   OR    |
                                |   IE    |
                                |_________|

       The dots below Ericsson r380 are for other
       phone models which may be added in
       cocoon.properties file for which cocoon
       is to return WAP content. For requests coming
       from HTTP agents such as Netscape or IE cocoon
       loads a HTML content-generating stylesheet.

       It is very time-consuming to add each and every
       phone model in the cocoon.properties and then
       restart Apache each time. So I decided to install
       Kannel which is supposedly a WAP gateway. My plan
       is to write one line in the cocoon.properties file

       browser.1 = wap=kannel

       and then tell all my clients to connect to
       my site using the Kannel gateway.

________________
| CLIENT's     |
| NOKIA        |
| UPSDK        |
| ERICSSON R380|
| .........    |
| .........    |
|______________|

    |  REQUEST FOR
   \|/ XML FILE
   \|/

____|_____                            FOR WAP
| KANNEL |                __________  REQUESTS  __________
|   WAP  | REQUEST FOR    | APACHE |WAP CONTENT | COCOON |
| GATEWAY|______\\________|  HTTP  |______//____|   XML  |
|________|      //        | SERVER |      \\    | ENGINE |
            XML FILE      |________|  FOR HTTP  |________|
                              |       REQUESTS
                              |       HTML CONTENT

                 REQUEST FOR  |
                  XML FILE   /|\
                             /|\

                          ____|______
                          | HTTP    |
                          | BROWSER |
                          | NETSCAPE|
                          |   OR    |
                          |   IE    |
                          |_________|

       I tried to add the header X-WAP-Gateway: which
       I believe kannel appends to any of its request:
       in cocoon.properties but cocoon did not recognize
       this header and refused to deliver WAP content

       browser.1=wap=X-WAP-Gateway

       Next I tried:

       browser.1=wap=Kannel/1.0.3 (I have this
       version installed)

       but again the same result. cocoon refused
       to recognize the headers.

       Has anyone else tried this Cocoon-Kannel
       setup and came across this problem?

       Please let me know of any suggestions
       regarding this.

       Sorry for the long-winded story here.