cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian Topping" <topp...@digidemic.com>
Subject New Technologies Sample App
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 09:21:30 GMT
Wow, I looked away for a few weeks and there are all these new technologies on Cocoon!  Forrest,
XMLForm, the sunShine initiative -- wow!!

I'm sitting here thinking that I want to use these technologies on the site I am bringing
together.  I understand that they may not be ready for prime time, but I'm finding that the
alternatives (i.e. Jetspeed) need enough rework that they could lose whatever robustness they
might have had to start with.  If I'm not the only one thinking this, there is probably some
critical mass waiting to explode here!

So since I am going to be pulling together an application for my work, it seemed to make sense
to publish the app skeleton under scratchpad.  The idea would be a "best practices" application
that could 1) showcase the technologies, 2) form an integration laboratory to ensure the technologies
that are involved grow together instead of away from each other (ala Gump), and 3) possibly
become a target in a JUnit test regimen for nightly builds.

If that sounds good so far, I'm interested in getting a pulse on what projects ought to be
at the party.  The goal of my outside project is actually a commerce-enabled CMS portal.
This would be like salon.com where some items are only available to paying subscribers.  So
I see that I would want to use the sunRise for authentication to those areas, and sunSpot
for the portal functionality.  The forms to be completed to establish an account would be
done through XMLForms (haven't been able to find the documentation on it yet, but I'm still
looking).  I'm not too familiar yet with Schecoon, but since the app needs to be built using
MVC, if we can wedge it in, all the better.  It would be great to get a CMS into the mix,
one that could trigger Forrest to generate and deploy as many static pages that need to be,
based on changes in the CMS.  Finally, the entire project should be documented with Forrest,
although I have to admit wishing that we had something like Maven in place because of the
build system elements... http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven.

Am I missing any projects that would benefit the demonstration application?  Anything that
makes development easier?  When this is done, someone should be able to quickly generate a
Cocoon application by using this project as template.

Any all comments / suggestions / OT / RT welcome and appreciated!

Brian