cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] InputModules for sitemap variables
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 17:18:05 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>>Being a module is a scheme (for URL it's usually a "protocol"), I would suggest module://moduletouse/path/to/param?moduleattr=value
>>

>It is completely not necessary to have '//' symbols in there (as you
>mentioned: after scheme goes scheme-specific part, not necessary
>starting with '//'). I suggest:

In fact, all depends on what we consider to be the scheme. Nicola Ken
seems to consider that the scheme is "module", and that the naming
authority is the module name, hence e.g. "module://request/foo" to
access the "foo" request parameter.

My opinion is different, as I consider that the scheme-specific part is
defined by each particular module and not by a generic "module" scheme.
Some schemes may have a notion of naming authority and path (e.g. an
xpath query on an xml database returning a single text node), but many
don't have this notion (e.g. request parameters, context parameters,
session attributes, etc).

This is also illustrated in paragraph 1.3 of RFC 2396 which shows that
the "news" and "mailto" schemes don't have a naming authority and have a
very particular scheme-specific part.

>  module:moduletouse:/path/to/param?moduleattr=value
>
>or:
>
>  moduletouse:/path/to/param?moduleattr=value
>

>Samples:
>
>  module:request:myparam
>
>or:
>
>  request:myparam