cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT]: Calculating the cache key
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 15:28:30 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

>The performance of key comparison is especially important for high traffic
>sites (like ours).  An idea I've had to decrease this importance is:
>
>An *option* to have the pipeline do asynchron cache validation - if a cached
>item exists, use it *then* check it's validity (or cause it to be checked)
>and remove it from the store if it was expired.  This is attractive to us
>because we'll have many steps that will need to be checked (many of our
>pages will involve 5 or 6 or more generators aggregated and included) and
>the performance hit of generating and comparing all those keys is scary.
>This integrates well with the external cache validity concept that Marcelo
>Ochoa/DBPrism has been working on.

Geoff, this a really good use case for the need of per-pipeline choice
of the pipeline implementation, which has been discussed some time ago :
- webapp pipelines *must* use up-to-date content (i.e. cache validity is
always checked, or no cache is used at all)
- content publication pipelines don't need to be checked synchronously
at each request, and the cache can be checked either periodically or
through external triggers.

So we end up with 3 main types of pipelines :
- non-caching,
- caching and synchronously validated,
- caching and asynchronously validated.

Thoughts ?