cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [Bugs] URLSource
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 21:08:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> NOTE: there is no official indication on how the file: URI should be
> addressed, but all these
>
>    file:/file
>    file://file
>    file:///file
>
> are all valid URIs and should point to the same file (at least, this was
> my understanding).

Your understanding is wrong. Only the last is a valid URI.
The RFC for this appears to be
   http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
and some predecessors.

> It could be possible to add
>
>    file:file
>
> to indicate a relative location.

This is wrong too. An URI starting with an URI scheme
identificator (like file:) is *always* an absolute URI.
This:
   /file
is an *relative* URI, despite being an *absolute* path.

> This is normally achieved by avoiding
> to indicate the protocol (such as in "file"), but since we need a
> protocol to identify the handler, "file:file" might just be a way to
> encode relativity in file positioning.

A relative URI is resolved against a base URI, which sepcifies
the URI scheme. If your base URI is a file URL, *all* relative
URIs encountered are resolved to files. You can't have a base
HTTP URI and suddenly have a relative URI point to a file.

Well, hope this helps:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102027988321347&w=2

J.Pietschmann