cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [docs] opensource and quality control
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 16:46:42 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, at 05:20  AM, Stephan Michels wrote:
>> The best way to do this, is to implement the CVS support in cocoon.
> But you still need some form of webapp front-end to address all CMS
> concerns. CVS versioning is insufficient, IMO.
>> I were glad to see a CVSSource and a CVSSourceFactory, but if it too
>> difficult to map the parameters like revision, cvs repository, and file
>> into an URI, we could implement this into a generator and transformer?!
>> Something like this
>>  <generator src="src/documentation/xdocs/overview.xml">
>>   <parameter name="cvsroot"
>>              value=":pserver:****"/>
>>   <parameter name="password" value="****"/>
>>   <parameter name="revision" value="1.2"/>
>>  </generator>

What about a 2-sided configuration :
- in cocoon.xconf, declare a new source-handler specific to a particular
CVS repository
  <protocol name="cocoon-cvs" class="...CVSSourceFactory">

- in the sitemap, use only the path inside the repository, with
additional optional parameters if a particular version/branch is required

This way, you have a single URL for any file (and revision) in the
repository, which can be used as a regular Source, or better,

>> And the combination with slash-edit were ultimative ;-)

Having a WriteableSource is the key to slash-edit (see

> I agree. The sooner Forrest has a community-based CMS component, the
> better. Just think how wonderful it would be, to build in community
> contributions at the moment software is released (or before). Perhaps
> you might consider joining Forrest to work on building this dream ;).
> Diana

Could you elaborate more on how you see such a community CMS ? A big
problem for such a beast is that we currently don't have a servlet
engine running on Apache servers. And even if we had one, having a
webapp allowing to edit the Apache CVS directly from the web leads to
important security issues, and so it would have to be read-only.

Sylvain Wallez

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message