cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] cocoon-docs
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 12:57:37 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> All this discussion on docs can be entertaining to some, but seems to get us
> nowhere.
>
> If someone says he's gonna do something, well, he's just _not_ doing it.

Hmmm, entering Jon's mode won't help making your point come across, Ken.

I hear your frustration, but I also hear other's and this is not, IMHO,
the right attitude for things to come across.

> You had some -1s for the creation of the list, and no discussion will easily
> make mine go away;

So? You don't have veto power, Ken. Nobody here does.

True, we never had to count votes in this project, but we never tried to
merge two different communities together and to breed their differences
together. I was expecting cultural and social friction to happen (I
warned Diana privately if she really wanted to take the job) but I
didn't expect this community to see the process of establishing links in
cultural differences as "entertaining to some, but lead us nowhere".

> I want to see facts, not a split of a community of doc
> writers I still don't see in sight.
> When I will see the need for the list, I will remove it, it's not eternal.
> Till now, I have seen no big need for it, and no patches to need to keep
> rolling.
>
> My 2 euros: Start discussion on the user list, where the public is,
> prepending [DOCS] to every mail.
> And let's get over this tedious stuff.

Your arrogance is definately not helping any of your points come across,
Ken.

What you perceive as tedious, might be what we need to get out of the
"impasse". You might not see a doc community in sight, because it takes
time and energy to build one... and attitudes like yours, might exactly
be what is making those people run away!

There was no problem in making a new project for Forrest, even if it
started as a technological foundation for a better documentation and
infrastructure... why should it be a problem for a doc-oriented list
used by those who care about cocoon documentation?

If it doesn't work, too bad, but at least we tried.... but this list is
focused on entirely different things and it's driven by psycological
fuel which is not the proper one for the other community to prosper.

This is why I believe that all the drawbacks of having another list are
minor in respect to the frustration that builds up in the friction
between the two psycological fuels.

If you think about it, SoC is exactly that: let each one do its own job,
surrounded by the people that talk the same language, perceive the same
itches and like to share the scratching.

With all my experience as a respected community builder, I honestly have
no idea if this cocoon-docs list is a good idea or not, but I *DO*
*KNOW* that it's a step in the different direction, a direction to
change the psycological substrate that might contain stuff that is
extremely energetic for a development community, but might well be
poison for other types of communities with different concerns.

Think about it.

And also remember that your -1 is not -inf

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.