cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Document Gestation Process?
Date Sun, 05 May 2002 12:59:23 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> Remember I'm talking about structures for users -- not developers -- who
> volunteer to write docs. I'm trying to create mechanisms that help them
> by making their work more focused. I'm not trying to limit anyone.

Easy, people.

Diana, my suggestion is simple: look at weblogs: the easier it is for
people to write content, the more content they create.

Now: also looking at weblogs, the signal/noise ratio of weblogs starts
lowering a lot: this is where editors come in and polish. But you can't
polish anything that isn't there.

So, my down-to-the-metal suggestion: write an howto/best-practice on how
to write docs (also including what tools to use, have you ever tried
XXE? It rocks!) and tell somebody how to submit it for review.

The rest is an incremental process.

Please, try to understand the darwinistic approach that we use for our
development: development proceeds evolutionarely. Documentation should
happen that way in a volunteer world, or it will always fail.

Also notes that you don't need many rules in open development since it's
mostly a self-guiding process. Plan to delegate to the extreme. Plan to
give responsibility simply to those who volunteer. Plan to lower the
gaps and things will move on.... but don't plan to shape this movement,
since it will find its own shape and will fit the energy levels much
better than any person could possibly plan in advance.

Hope this helps.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.