cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: How Can I access Macromedia Flash file through cocoon
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 17:54:29 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>Hi Rob,
>
>>From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob@koberg.com]
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>You can bring XML straight into Flash.
>>

>Does it mean that Flash plugin can interpret not only macromedia swf
>files, but xml files as well?

No, it reads the SWF, the SWF loads the XML.  In fact you can
load/unload XML from the client. This means no page refresh so marketing
types won't like it :)  This is an asynchronous execution. You can POST
and GET within the flash movie (or resuable movieclips). This works just
like HTTP.

I mentioned this before: you can use a one pixel flash movie on your
page and use that as a client-side server for XML,  but you need a
browser/system that will allow you to communicate between flash and the
browser (javascript).

>>What I do is bring in a config
>>file in the first 5 frames and set up my objects. That displays a
>>
>router
>
>>like interface (TOC/homepage). Then on click of a link, download the
>>necessary XML and 'goto' a set a of frames that styles the XML like
>>
>you
>
>>would want.
>>

>Can you share simple sample of such an xml (along "hello world" lines)?
>It would make nice addition to multimedia hello world.

Macromedia has to have some examples up. they do a really good job of
explaining their tools by using Show Me's (or they used to when I was
there...) which are a (flash) interactive movie that steps a user
through a process. I only work in flash if somebody is paying me ALOT of
money - it is a very frustrating thing...

basically this is what you do:

the XML (hi.xml - relative to the SWF):

<hi>hello world</hi>
-----------------------
The actionScript:

xmlObj = new XML();
xmlObj.load("hi.xml");
----------------
then go the frame until the xml has been loaded:

if (xmlObj.loaded) {
    myVar = xmlObj.firstChild.nodeValue;
}

then you set the Text Options (in a modal gui window) for a text field
you placed in the movie to Dynamic Text and name the variable (in the
example above - myVar)

best,
-Rob