cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: [RT] InputModules for sitemap variables
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 14:19:12 GMT
On 24.May.2002 -- 04:00 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Now what about allowing the use of InputModules in sitemap variable
> substitution ? For this, we need to extend the variable naming scheme :
> if a variable name contains a colon (':'), the string before the colon
> identifies an InputModule, and the string after the colon identifies an
> attribute name for the InputModule (see InputModule.getAttribute())

It sounds like a cool idea, but the syntax would suggest that any
source could be used. Indeed, modules are related to sources but offer
a very different API and I like to think of them being "lightweight"
sources. I don't think it would make sense to merge them for example.

Apart from that, yes, I think it would be cool.

> Chris, what about passing the full object model instead of just the
> Request to {Input, Output}Modules ? This would allow a wider range of
> implementations.

Possible. One could even create a (meta) module that accesses a
source, then :-) Whoa, that would be a mind-boggling complicated data
flow %-]

It does work to get more attention to your stuff moving it to
trunk. Cool. :-)

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l