cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: [C2.1] Moving scratchpad goodies to main trunk
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 11:50:52 GMT
<snip/>

> > ...I doubt putting it back will work. As soon as it's in main -
> > someone will
> > speak up NOT to move it back - whether it has the quality for beta or
> > not. Or do I see this too problematic?
>
> I personally think this is very easy: if it has not the quality for beta,
> it can't be in the beta release. So there are two solutions:
> a) some fixes that asap or
> b) it's moved into scratchpad
>
> For release often release early only b) is acceptable. Everyone should
> understand this. It is not good to move a release date to infinity
> because of "this is good new feature, it *must* be in the release,
> but it's not working yet, just give me two more weeks". We did this
> in the past with 2.0 which was acceptable for 2.0, but we shouldn't
> do this mistake again. So release often, release early, but only
> release beta quality is the slogan (for me)
>
> > How do we separate stable and instable when we are about to make
> > a release?
> > I guess a release shouldn't wait for all the stuff that is currently in
> > scratchpad to become stable... But that's how it is when
> > everything goes into
> > main... Isn't it?
>
> See above.
> We separate it at least by works or works not.

well, you are the relase man ;-)
if you don't mind sorting those stuff out by hand... go for it

I just thought that's exactly where the scratchpad is for... main will go into
the next release - scratchpad not. So we would move things over from
scratchpad if they are ready for the next release!

That's easy and comfortable... But if you guys insist on having more work ;-)
That would be a clear structure...

I'd really like hear some more oppions on that...
--
Torsten