cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [docs] opensource and quality control
Date Wed, 15 May 2002 06:55:08 GMT
On Wednesday 15 May 2002 07:45, David Crossley wrote:
>. . .
> So, let us develop a procedure whereby the opensource
> model is still employed, yet there is initial quality control.
>. . .

Following the opensource model, I think docs should be released as early as
possible, with only minimal initial quality control but clearly flagged as
"draft" or something.  AND it must be very easy for all readers to give their
feedback on the docs so that they can be improved.

As opposed to code, docs are not easily declared "right" or "wrong", they can
start "usable" and become "great" over time I think.

Ideally readers should be able to add their comment directly on the docs
pages, but as this is not possible today here I suggest the following
mechanism, which would be easy to implement:

a) each doc has a status attribute: draft, reviewed, reliable, etc.

b) each doc has a unique ID

c) something like this published at the top of each document (auto-generated
from the "status" and "doc-id" attributes)

document status:
  draft
document id:
  12.452
confidence level:
  this information has not been verified yet, please comment if you find
  mistakes in it
send comments/corrections about this document to:
  cocoon-docs@xml.apache.org with "[doc-comments:12.452]" in subject line

(include a "mailto" link for this and a link to a page that explains the docs
feedback process)

Provided this is compatible with the current plan for the docs publishing
mechanism, I'd be willing to implement the necessary changes.

-Bertrand