cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: copyright for docs [was: Re: [Bugs] URLSource]
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 15:58:26 GMT
Oh man, the docs copyrights should be assigned to the ASF.  What a pain
otherwise.

-Andy

On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 11:55, Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Sunday, May 19, 2002, at 06:11  AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >> It would be interesting whether there would be a project
> >> responsible for some "commonly used" documentation.
> >> For example:
> >>   - Understanding the Apache license :-)
> >
> > eh eh, you'll be happy to know that yesterday I submitted a patch
> > exactly for this for the 'almost-to-be-released-after-years' Apache
> > License 2.0,
>
> I'm trying to understand if this has *any* bearing on user contributions
> of documents.
>
> For example, the Apache HTTP Server docs project appears to retain
> copyright for their collective text (and collects royalties for
> non-exclusive publishing by third parties.) On the other extreme, if you
> peruse Linux Document Project contributions, you'll find most works are
> copyrighted by their respective authors.
>
> AFAIK, the Cocoon project's language (e.g. contrib.xml) only discusses
> copyright issues as related to contributions of *code*.
>
> What is your understanding?
>    (1) User contributed-docs must be provided with ASF-compatible terms;
> or
>    (2) users retain copyright to their contributions.
>
> I don't care, either way. I'd just like to clarify the situation up
> front for would-be authors.
>
> Diana

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh