cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] InputModules for sitemap variables
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 20:09:05 GMT
From: "Sylvain Wallez" <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>

> Hi team,
>
> I looked at Chris's modules in mod-db and thought about using them for
> sitemap variable substitution.
>
> Up to now, sitemap variables can only be set by matchers and actions,
> and we thus have a number of them whose primary purpose is to populate
> sitemap parameters. This includes e.g. RequestParamAction,
> RequestHeaderMatcher, SessionAttributeMatcher, etc.
>
> Now what about allowing the use of InputModules in sitemap variable
> substitution ? For this, we need to extend the variable naming scheme :
> if a variable name contains a colon (':'), the string before the colon
> identifies an InputModule, and the string after the colon identifies an
> attribute name for the InputModule (see InputModule.getAttribute())
>
> So the following snippet (copied from RequestParamAction javadoc) :
>   <map:act type="request">
>     <map:parameter name="parameters" value="true"/>
>     <map:generate src="users/menu-{id}.xml">
>   </map:act>
>
> could be written more simply :
>   <map:generate src="users/menu-{request-param:id}.xml"/>

It doesn't bring new functionality, creates duplicate ways of doing the
*same* thing, and breaks compatibility with old sitemap.
All this in favor of a more compact syntax.

What I would like to see instead, is a ModularAction, that can pass
attributes from inputmodules and output modules, and ModularMatcher and
ModularSelector, that can, in this way, have a common codebase and
functional opportunity.

Decoupling Sources from Generators seems like decoupling Modules from
Matchers and Selectors.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -