cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Konstantin Piroumian" <kpiroum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Action XSP
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 16:37:18 GMT
From: "Sylvain Wallez" <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>
> Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
> >From: "Artur Bialecki" <artur@digitalfairway.com>

> >May I ask a question? Why do you need an XSP based action? IMHO, actions
> >should be pure Java classes that perform some programmatic logic and you
> >have Generators for XML generation, based on the result from actions.
> >
> >Are there any real use-cases?

Thanks Arthur and Sylvain for excellent explanations!
I am thinking in a little Struts way where you can do anything using pure
Java, but I can agree that sometimes it can be useful to have XSP actions.

Further comments bellow:

> I think the need expressed by Arthur is the hot-recompilation nature of
> XSPs, which it really great at development time, along with the
> high-level constructs offered by taglibs.
>
> But there are cases where an XSP can be more than a generator : consider
> the ESQL logicsheet, which provides powerful tags for querying
> databases. But what if you would like to choose a particular page
> depending on the query results ? If the XSP is the pipeline generator,
> redirect (even internal) is not possible. If the XSP is an action,
> redirect is possible.

I've never used ESQL. We are using EJBs, so I get pure Java Beans and
Collections as a result of a business call, so having placed them in request
then using either XSP and/or CastorTransformer I get XML from them. And I
can for sure make a redirect depending on the result of EJB call.

> That's what the ServerPagesAction is for. It is to be used in
> conjonction with the action taglib (providing redirect and action result
> primitives) and the capture taglib (for capturing parts of the
> XSP-produced XML for later use).

Redirects from inside of an XSP reminds me of C1 times and that approach was
not recommended in C2. Am I wrong?

> In a sense, the XSP action belongs to the same domain than pipe-aware
> selectors that were discussed a while ago.

And were rejected because of some conceptual inconsistencies or something
like that, aren't they?

Konstantin