cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Cocoon Exception Handling Infrastructure
Date Tue, 21 May 2002 06:33:48 GMT
From: "Ivelin Ivanov" <ivelin@apache.org>

> XSLT Transformer is obviously one of the most popular Cocoon components.
> As such it carries the extra burden of serving as example to people
writing
> other components.
>
> In the sake of fairness, exception reporting is much friendlier in 2.1
than
> before. However much remains to be improved.

+1

> I was wondering if someone else shares my observations and thinks it's
time
> to lay out a design for better exception reporting infrastructure.
>
> I think that one of the biggest psychological barriers for Cocoon users is
> that they can't easily start writing simple apps. Cocoon is not very
> forgiving with bad input, while at the same time its exception reporting
is
> often misleading the developer instead of pinpointing the problem.

Well, the problem doesn't lie in the error reporting infrastructure, but in
the components themselves.

When a component throws an error, it must not hide it, and must add the info
of any exception it wraps.

Garbage in - garbage out

You have labeled this thread RT, but it's more a RR (random rant).

I would like to see some practical suggestions:
- where in the code does the exception get stuck?
- Is this problem of a component or general?
- In which regard is the system inadeguate?

IMNSHO the infrastructure is ok, but it needs debugging, yours too ;-P

Why are there many rants about error reporting but nobody helping?
(except Peter Royal, with whom I had a really cool trans-oceanic coding
session on this)

            - verba volant, scripta manent -