cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Horst Rutter" <h...@objectleague.com>
Subject Re: processing serializer output on server
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 00:11:31 GMT
Thanks for the input.

Sorry, I believe I was not clear the sitemap code I provided does not work:

<map:generate type="serverpages" src="sendmail.xsp">
    <map:parameter name="email-attachment" value:"cocoon:/generatepdf"/>

fails because supplying "cocoon:/generatepdf" as a parameter for the generator does not work.
I debugged it and discovered Cocoon uses the provided String instead of calling into the
"cocoon:/generatepdf" pipeline fragment by resolving the String, unfortunately not what I
was expecting.
That's too bad, because it would really be a cool feature.
What does it take to get this working? I'd volunteer.

>From what you are saying I understand passing a Serializer's output into another pipeline
fragment
only works with the src parameter of Generators and Readers.
I guess that's why you are suggesting a reader.
Unfortunately that's not going to work in my situation because
I need to call my XSP workhorse for sending an email (or the SendMailAction like I mentioned
earlier)
All pipeline fragments I have seen that use a reader don't use any other components like transformator,
serializer etc.
How would a reader help here?
(I was not able to find much documentation about Readers and how they should be applied in
sitemaps.
All I understand is they read and deliver binary content like images.)

To recap:
All I want to do is call a pipeline fragment that calls into another one.
By calling in I mean a different pipeline fragment gets invoked that does some stuff and returns
an OutputStream.
This Output Stream (a pdf stream in my case) is now going to be processed by the calling pipeline
fragment.
In my case this means (an XSP or action) take(s) that Stream and send off an email holding
an attachment containing this Stream.
(On a sidenote I am also considering sending a file, but this would mean that
someone has to save the Stream to a file prior to sending the email, ... now which component
could do that?
See, this is where I got stuck as well..)
;)
Horst