cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <>
Subject Re: [vote] Development Roadmap
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 10:05:02 GMT
At 2:16 pm +0200 10/4/02, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> b) the form-handling stuff should be merged into a coherent proposal
>and moved over to the trunk. The old stuff currently placed in the
>scratchpad should be removed.

The main problem as I see it for integrating abilities of the
"content-editing pipeline" approach with the generic form-handling work
being developed by Ivelin, Torsten, Konstantin et al, is the different
between the 'media' to be populated.

I have said this many times before, why I believe none of the previous
form-handling techniques have won the title 'generic' was that they only
delt with a very specific Source (ie. SQL or XML:DB or Beans or XML Files).

Populating (etc.) a Bean is something you want to do in particular types of
webapps that deal with business objects; modifying/creating XML
WriteableSources is a different beast, it has to do with content management.

If we want to unify our approaches, amongst other things we need to
abstract out the whole business of what will be written to.

The "content-editing pipeline" way of doing this would be to implement the
XML -> Bean mapping as a Transformer, with the Bean as a WriteableSource.

Now I can't see this happening in a month of Sundays .....

How can we reconcile the differences between the needs of a generic form
handling mechanism for both Business Logic and Content Management?

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>             <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message