cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [SUMMARY] Viva la Multiplexer! (was: [Contribution] Pipe-aware selection)
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:07:15 GMT
At 5:11 pm +0200 5/4/02, Daniel Fagerström wrote:
>> For sure we need more symmetry and more functionality in the pipelines.
>> If multiplexing and pipe-aware selection are the way to implement them
>> is yet to be understood.
>
>Agreed, it is definitly my, (and all the other raving "pipe-aware
>selection" fans out there ;) ) resposibility to provide examples on how
>elegantly you can construct webapps with the help of just a few extra
>sitemap components. I hope to be able to provide some example code and
>an RT quite soon. Until then some sceptisism seem like a sound strategy.

Maybe I do not recognise the differences yet, but the examples you provided
for how "pipe-aware selection" would work, are all possible without such a
selector, please see the 'editor.xmap' in <slash-edit/>.

Furthermore, is there REALLY a difference between these two pipelines:

                   - pipeline1 -
                  /              \
 request -> A -> X - pipeline2 - X -> C -> response
                   - pipelineN -

 request -> A -> P1 -> P2 -> P3 -> C -> response

(where Pn are a group of Transformations/Actions etc.)

Apart from how you would arrange them differently in the Sitemap, what is
the real need to have parallel processes?

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <phone:+44.[0].20.7737.6831>             <pager:jermq@vizzavi.net>