cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:44:39 GMT
On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> We are struggling a little bit with the differences between the JDK 1.3
> and JDK 1.4 with regards to the JDBC interfaces.

...as seen on many POSTs on cocoon-users as well

> We have one class (EsqlConnection) implementing the java.sql.Connection
> interface. Unfortunately this interface has changed in JDK 1.4.
>
> This little change forces us to test during compilation(!) of Cocoon
> whether we are in a 1.3 or in a 1.4 environment and changing with the
> ant build script the source of the EsqlConnection class.

even worse... ant seems not always to get it right...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101424515522929&w=2

> This mechanism works of course but has the great disadvantage that
> Cocoon compiled with JDK 1.3 does not work with JDK 1.4 and even worse
> Cocoon is not compilable without the ant script!

but is this really a problem? if you want it to run it on jdk 1.4 you need
to compile it on jdk 1.4 - as easy as that... as long as our releases work
with both jdks we should be fine...

as long at it compiles on the very same system it is supposed to run on...
or do I see this too pragmatic?

> Now, a hacky solution for this would be that we include the required
> JDK 1.4 interfaces (java.sql.Connection and three more) in Cocoon only
> for compilation, so we would avoid compile errors.

You're sure this works? Anyway it also smells like a LICENCE including
interfaces from the jdk... (don't know for sure though)

:-/
--
Torsten