cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:49:45 GMT

> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
> We are struggling a little bit with the differences between the JDK 1.3
> and JDK 1.4 with regards to the JDBC interfaces.
>
> We have one class (EsqlConnection) implementing the java.sql.Connection
> interface. Unfortunately this interface has changed in JDK 1.4.
>
> This little change forces us to test during compilation(!) of Cocoon
> whether we are in a 1.3 or in a 1.4 environment and changing with the
> ant build script the source of the EsqlConnection class.
>
> This mechanism works of course but has the great disadvantage that
> Cocoon compiled with JDK 1.3 does not work with JDK 1.4 and even worse
> Cocoon is not compilable without the ant script!
>
> Now, a hacky solution for this would be that we include the required
> JDK 1.4 interfaces (java.sql.Connection and three more) in Cocoon only
> for compilation, so we would avoid compile errors.
>
> So, is this
> a) a good idea ?

No - the only disadvantage is that you need the ant build script. It
is not worth to throw in a hackish solution to solve that problem,
as hackish solutions have a tendency to stay.

Long term solution would be to factor out the esql code into a separate
compilation package, much like Stefano's vision for Cocoon blocks. If
more and more features are crammed into the base Cocoon distribution
we will soon have to include all of JDK1.4 or drop JDK1.3
compatibility.

Another option is to have two Cocoon source packages - one for 1.3 and
one for 1.4. (That would be needed/desired for the esql package I
mentioned above, I think.)

/LS