cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [VOTE] (was: [RT]: Merging Stream And Event Pipeline)
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 06:22:07 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> I'd like also we take a formal decision about allowing a Serializer to
> be a SitemapModelComponent. This comes regularly on the table, and there
> have been several uses cases showing the need for it, mainly to access
> the SourceResolver. And I've got a new use case : I'm currently adding
> source resolving capabilities to SVGSerializer to allow bitmaps to be
> read using the "blob" SourceFactory. For this, the serializer *needs*
> the SourceResolver and thus I have a patched version of StreamPipeline
> that handles this. I also know that other people are using similar hacks
> (Dims once sent this hack as an aswer to one of your questions).
>
> So : do we allow a Serializer to be a SitemapModelComponent ?
> +1 from me !

I'm +0 on this. The new source resolver from Avalon I started to integrate
is available via the ComponentManager, so if a serializer is Composable
it can use the source resolver then.
(And I'm waiting for Stefano and Giacomo to come up and give us their -1
on this :) )

> >The splitting into those two objects was done to help implementing the
> >cocoon: protocol. But AFAIK everywhere always those two objects are
> >used in combination, even in the SitemapSource class implementing the
> >cocoon: protocol.
> >

> Be careful : we must keep an "XML exit point" on the new Pipeline, since
> toSAX() on a SitemapSource outputs the XML just before the serializer,
> in order to avoid parsing of the output of the serializer. For this, we
> could either allow the serializer to be set more than once, or add a new
> process(environment, XMLConsumer) method.

Yes, I know - I thought that it would be enough to call the setSerializer
method twice then.

+1 for merging
+1 for configurable pipelines

Carsten