cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Rogier Peters" <Rog...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: (dbxml) Generator vs Source
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:40:34 GMT
Hi Gianugo,

thanks for explaining, one more question: see below

> > - What are the reasons behind deprecating xmldb-generator?
>
> There was no reason for it anymore, given that FileGenerator
> was able to
> handle the XML:DB pseudo protocol directly. A Source is much more
> flexible and there was no loss of functionality.

Well... one thing I liked about the generator was that you could pass a lot of stuff as parameters.
Although in the original xmldb-generator only the xpath parameter was used, but my custom
generator also used depth parameter, and because x-hive offers so much more options for querying
in their api, I can imagine I would need a lot of parameters.
The way this is solved in the xmldb-source, by putting a # behind the url, would IMHO become
less elegant as more parameters are added.
So I wonder what other mechanisms could be used for calling parameters on a source, if I'm
using different parameters in each map:mathch