cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@vankets.com>
Subject Re: Document Gestation Process?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:43:13 GMT
At 11:53 29/04/2002 -0400, you wrote:
><snip/>
>
>>On another subject, I think publishing documents with numbered paragraphs
>>(and numbering documents themselves?) would help during the reviewing stage,
>>allowing terse but precise quotations.
>
>Good point.
>
>Diana

There are two ways in doing this : giving each paragraph a fixed number or
automatic numbering.  In the first case you have a problem when you want to
insert a new paragraph between two existing ones (unless you start
numbering by tens 10,20,30, ..,Like the old Basic days).  In the latter
case you have the problem that when you insert a paragraph the bottom ones
are all renumbered, making old references obsolete.  I guess adding a
version number to every document can solve this one.  So, I suggest using
automatic paragraph numbering with version numbering to the documents.

The <xsl:number> tag can help with automatic numbering.  If we use one
stylesheet for reviewing docs and using another, without the <xsl:number>
tag when distributing we can remove the paragraph numbering when making the
doc "public"

This is my Eurocent worth of improving docs ;)

Bert