cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Foster <jafos...@uwaterloo.ca>
Subject Re: Continuation-enabled Rhino status and some optimizations
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 19:28:29 GMT
> - augment variables that hold transient values. For example, a
> database connection pool object should not saved in a continuation,
> but instead released back in the pool right before the continuation is
> saved, and obtained back right after the continuation is resumed.

I'm not sure about this example, but then again I don't really understand
database transactions either.  Consider the following pseudo-code:

> dbConnection.StartTransaction();
>
> SendPage('startPage');
> SendPage('nextPage');
> SendPage('lastPage');
>
> WriteInfoToDatabase( dbConnection );
>
> dbConnection.CompleteTransaction();

If I don't always get the same database connection, won't my transaction
get all messed up?  Near as I can tell all of the continuations in the same
"family tree" need to use the same database connections to ensure
transactional integrity.

Jason Foster