cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (dbxml) Generator vs Source
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:54:17 GMT
Rogier Peters wrote:
> Hi Gianugo,
>
> thanks for explaining, one more question: see below
>

>>>- What are the reasons behind deprecating xmldb-generator?
>>
>>There was no reason for it anymore, given that FileGenerator
>>was able to
>>handle the XML:DB pseudo protocol directly. A Source is much more
>>flexible and there was no loss of functionality.
>

> Well... one thing I liked about the generator was that you could pass a lot of stuff
as parameters. Although in the original xmldb-generator only the xpath parameter was used,
but my custom generator also used depth parameter, and because x-hive offers so much more
options for querying in their api, I can imagine I would need a lot of parameters.
> The way this is solved in the xmldb-source, by putting a # behind the url, would IMHO
become less elegant as more parameters are added.
> So I wonder what other mechanisms could be used for calling parameters on a source, if
I'm using different parameters in each map:mathch

the "#" charachter was chosen because it seemed to be the most
appropriate for XPath queries. It should indicate an XPointer but it's
almost the same. Nothing, however, is forbidding you to extend the
source so that parameters are taken into account in the usual way
(xmldb:xhive://host/resource[#/xpath]?depth=1&whatever=youmightwant).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino