cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: (dbxml) Generator vs Source
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:10:04 GMT
Rogier Peters wrote:

> - What are the differences between a generator and a source, other than the different
structural locations and different ways of calling them in the pipeline

Basically a source is a URL and can be used wherever a URL can be used,
as a quick example with the XML:DB source you can store your XSL in
an XML:DB database. Another place that comes to my mind is XInclude.
Whereas a generator can be used only as a generator, i.e. in a fixed
place of the sitemap.

> - What are the reasons behind deprecating xmldb-generator?

There was no reason for it anymore, given that FileGenerator was able to
handle the XML:DB pseudo protocol directly. A Source is much more
flexible and there was no loss of functionality.

> - Should I write a source or a generator for X-Hive? (or, has anyone looked into this
already)

I'd definitely go for the Source. And I'd be personally interested to
have a look at it :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo