cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.3 vs JDK 1.4 issue
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:15:41 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
>>>The main problem I have is that I cannot combile Cocoon without the Ant
>>>script because of the special tags in the EsqlConnection.java.
>>>And this is bad (at least for me).
>>
>>true... if you don't have ant integrated in you IDE this sucks...
>>

> Definitly!
>

>>so... what to do?
>
> Very good question! I don't want to have two source trees (one for JDK 1.3
> and
> one for JDK 1.4).
>
> I think a quick solution is to change the tags used in the source. What do
> you think of:
>
> /* @JDBC3_START@
>   JDK 1.4 extra code
> @JDBC3_END@ */

Change that!

// @JDBC3_START@

// @JDBC3_END@

Because if we are not using JDK 1.4, the special tags are changed to:

// /*

// */

Hmm, that might not work.

/* /*

*/ */

That will not compile.

If we have JDK 1.4, the tags substitute for nothing, so we don't want
them commented out all the time.

It's not an easy thing to fix for both ways.....

> - the class is always compilable (with JDK 1.3)
> - ant replaces the tags with "" on JDK 1.3
> - ant replaces the tags with */ and /* on JDK 1.4
>
> Carsten

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin