cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inefficiencies in DefaultConfiguration
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:18:26 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 03:45, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > Can somebody tell me why we have to:
> >
> >  1) create three strings
> >  2) call two methods
> >  3) create an exception object
> >  4) throw the exception
> >  5) and then throw everything away.
> >
> > in order to resort to the default value?
>
> Its legacy inherited from previous authors ;)

:-)

> I fixed this up in CVS but similar ineficiancies are present with many of the
> getAttribute*() methods. It would be good if a patch was supplied to rectify
> this ;)

My suggestion would be *not* to use wrap the default-lacking methods in
the abstract classes but provide different methods for the empty methods
(which trigger an exception if the configuration isn't found) and for
those with have the default passed (which never trigger an exception).

But before submitting patches I wanted to discuss a little bit about it.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.