cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AbstractAction Poolable?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:48:15 GMT
Nick Airey wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> I have also posted this question on cocoon-users today - apologies to
> those who have seen this there:
>

> Currently AbstractAction doesn't implement Poolable (itself or in base
> classes). That explains why there are no examples of pooled actions
> in the current sample sitemap.  Also, the Poolable interface is simply a
> marker, so it is trivial to make my action "poolable".
>
> So I did a quick test by simply:
>
> a) making my action implement Poolable, and
> b) adding pool-max, pool-min, pool-grow to the sitemap definition for
> that action
>

> And it works.  :-)
>
> (well, at least, it seems to work. I can see the pool being created, and
> an element being retrieved as needed) My other actions are
> created/destroyed every time.
>

> So does anyone have any ideas why say AbstractAction doesn't implement
> poolable? Is there something I'm missing that will bite me?

It used to be THreadSafe.  In fact, most of the actions should be marked
ThreadSafe--that way there is only one instance.  The AbstractAction
should not implement any lifestyle interfaces at all.  Each concrete
action should decide its lifestyle directly.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin