cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: continuation fear (was Re: [status & RT] design challenges)
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:34:39 GMT
Mikhail Fedotov wrote:

> You won't believe, but I'm also working on issue tracking
> system and we've choosen Struts over Cocoon recently. The
> reason was that "it is unproven fact that xml/xslt in
> general and cocoon in particular improves productivity".

I think XML/XSLT generally is a no-brainer, by now every programmer
should understand the advantages of that approach and where it might be
useful. I used to be the only guy here to do XML stuff, but in the
meantime all my colleagues have learned it and think it's extremely
productive. No-one wants to go back to proprietary data formats and
protocols.

Whether Cocoon is the right choice depends on your needs. If you just
need to do some simple XSLT/XSLFO stuff, then you're probably better off
using Xalan directly. If you need some simple web apps, you can still
use Cocoon1 very productively, it's straightforward to learn, pretty
bug-free and gives you a great start into "XML world" in general.

When you're at that point, you're up for a strategic decision. You know
enough about XML & Company to make an educated decision about the future
of your web publishing and web app development needs. There are plenty
of commercial options out there to consider in addition to switching to
Cocoon2 (Tamino, Excelon, several CMSes). I would not recommend diving
head first into one of these professional solutions without some prior
exposure to the "XML way of doing things". You simply won't have
identified your needs and thus might end up with an unsuitable product.

Of course, if you have some time and a bunch of not-so-critical and
not-so-complex things to do, then you can start with Cocoon2 right away,
it won't cost you an arm and a leg. But note that the Cocoon2 processing
model is very different from the usual approaches, so it might be
advisable to start with a more "traditional" system. Cocoon2 asks you
for a serious commitment and its benefits will pay off only in the long
run, so I am not surprised that developers without prior XML exposure
are reluctant to bet their future on it. But I think they should not say
that it is an unproven fact that XML technology in general is unproven.

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring